Preventive Controls for Animal Food
January 15 - 17, 2019 | Ames, Iowa
A 2.5 day course leading to Food Safety Preventive Controls Alliance (FSPCA) designation as a Preventive Controls Qualified Individual for the Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA).
The Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA) requires facilities processing any type of animal food (complete feed or ingredients) to comply with new current good manufacturing practices and to implement a written animal food safety plan developed and overseen by a "preventive controls qualified individual (PCQI)." This course is the standardized training developed by the Food Safety Preventive Controls Alliance. It is accepted by Food and Drug Administration (FDA) as meeting the requirements of PCQI designation. The course content will provide knowledge of the FSMA animal preventive controls rule, and training for creation of an effective animal food safety plan.
This course is intended for individuals needing Preventive Controls Qualified Individual designation to create Food Safety Modernization Act Hazard Analysis Risk Based Preventive Control plans for their animal food facilities. A certificate of completion will be given by the Food Safety Preventive Controls Alliance. There will be in-class group exercises.
Certificates, acknowledged as compliant with FDA requirements, will be issued to participants successfully completing the course. Completion is dependent upon attendance for all sessions as listed on the schedule. Missing any part of the program will result in non-compliance and a certificate will not be issued.
Curriculum and schedule
- Kim Anderson, program manager, Iowa State University
- Erin Bowers, associate scientist, Agricultural and Biosystems Engineering, Iowa State University
- Connie Hardy, Extension program specialist, Value Added Agriculture, Iowa State University
- Charles Hurburgh,
professor, Agricultural and Biosystems Engineering, Iowa State University
January 15 - 17, 2019
Registration check-in 12:00 pM, January 15.
Program begins at 1:00 pM and concludes at 4:30 PM on January 17.
Scheman Building, Room 004
1805 Center Dr
Ames, IA 50011
Free parking is available for Scheman visitors in lots north and south of the building in designated areas.
Early registration, prior to midnight, January 8, 2019
Registration includes refreshment breaks and meals listed on the agenda and one copy of the FSPCA Preventive Controls for Animal Food manual.
Participants are responsible for making their own lodging reservations. There are many facilities nearby in a range of price points. Use the Ames Convention and Visitors Bureau as a guide.
- Pre-registration is required to attend this course. Registrations must be completed online prior to midnight, January 8, 2019.
- Class size is limited and pre-registration is required to attend. Registrations accepted on a first-come, first-paid basis. Registration will be closed if the course reaches capacity.
- Requests for refunds must be received prior to midnight, January 8, 2019.
- Confirmation of registration is sent via email. Please provide a valid email address when registering