Intensive Tasting Proficiency Training
Saturday, November 10, 2018 | Ames, Iowa
This workshop will benefit both beginners and established professionals who wish to produce, sell, serve, purchase, or simply enjoy quality wine! This course can be used to certify those who wish to volunteer for the Iowa Quality Wine Consortium (IQWC) sensory panel.
Participants will learn a variety of skills in wine evaluation to become proficient in tasting wines critically. The workshop begin with the major components in wine including sugars, acids, alcohols and tannins. Exercises will be completed in white and red wine aroma identification, varietal identification, wine flaws and faults, and consistency in scoring among others.
Course instructors are members of the Midwest Grape and Wine Industry Institute.
This course is a requirement for the IWGA’s Registered Apprenticeship Program. Enrolled apprentices will receive credit towards their Related Technical Instruction.
- How Senses Work Presentation
- Components in Wine
- Aroma Descriptors-White
- Varietal Recognition-White
- Aroma Descriptors-Red
- Varietal Recognition-Red
- Wine Faults Presentation
- Wine Faults Aromas
- Varietal Recognition and Short Term Memory
- Wine Scoring Methods
- Regional Varietal Variation: White & Red
Saturday, November 10, 2018
Registration check-in 8:45 AM.
Program begins at 9:00 AM and concludes at 5:00 PM.
2311 Food Sciences Building
536 Farm House Ln
Ames, Iowa 50011
Parking is available in the Memorial Union parking ramp, a short walk from the Food Sciences building. Parking fees are not included in the cost of registration.
Registration, prior to midnight November 2, 2018
Registration includes lunch, refreshment breaks and course materials.
- Pre-registration is required to attend this course. Registrations must be completed online prior to midnight, November 2, 2018.
- Class size is limited and pre-registration is required to attend. Registrations accepted on a first-come, first-paid basis. Registration will be closed if the course reaches capacity.
- Requests for refunds must be received prior to midnight, November 2, 2018.
- Confirmation of registration is sent via email. Please provide a valid email address when registering
Photos and/or video taken at this course may be used by ISU Extension and Outreach for promotional, commercial, educational and research purposes. If you prefer not to be photographed, please speak with the photographer.