The goal of the Feedlot Short Course is to optimize participant learning by exposing them to new technology, research, and best management practices that they can take home and implement on their feedlots to improve how they do business.
The best way to achieve this is a small group setting, with a mix of hands-on and classroom instruction. Experts in the feedlot industry will provide in-depth information on nutrition basics, data management, feed bunk management and health issues. The program includes sessions at the ISU Beef Nutrition Research Farm near Ames, Couser Cattle Company, a commercial feedyard near Nevada, and the ISU Meat Laboratory on campus.
- Better identify, understand and manage animal health issues in the feedlot
- Increase management skills of basic nutrition, feed mixing and bunk management
- Evaluate existing data collection to improve record keeping skills and better utilize information to make management decisions
- Understand how management practices can impact carcass quality and beef end products
- Facilitate peer networking and learning
- Feedlot managers
- Feedlot employees
- Feedlot industry consultants
- Bunk management and the basics of starting cattle on feed
- Feed mixing demonstration and evaluation
- Managing and identifying cattle health issues in the feedlot
- Carcass fabrication demonstration
- Managing for carcass quality
- Data management
This course has been approved for 11 continuing education units (CEUs) by the American Registry of Professional Animal Scientists (ARPAS) .
Tuesday, August 2, 2022 – Thursday, August 4, 2022
Registration check-in 12:30 pM, Tuesday, August 2.
Program begins at 1:00 pM on August 2 and concludes at noon on Thursday, August 4.
Hansen Agriculture Student Learning Center
2508 Mortensen Road
Ames, Iowa 50014
Free parking is available in lots surrounding the Learning Center.
For assistance with registration, receipts, cancellation or questions on the status of your registration please contact ANR Program Services at (515) 294-6429 or email@example.com.