Crop Advantage Series
January 15, 2019 | Okoboji, Iowa
Crop Advantage meetings provide a solid foundation of current, research-based crop production information to help make smart, informed decisions in the farming operation.
84% of attendees responding to follow-up surveys said information from Crop Advantage would likely save them between $5 and $20 per acre.
"Solid information, up front and honest. Well organized."
Private pesticide applicator recertification
Crop Advantage meetings are approved for recertification for Iowa private pesticide applicators. Applicators must attend the entire meeting (including at least one pest management topic) to receive recertification credit. Recertification is included in meeting registration.
This meeting is approved for continuing education credits for Certified Crop Advisers (CCAs). Credits awarded will depend on workshop sessions attended during the program. Program listings use the following credit designations: CM-crop management, PM-pest management, NM-nutrient management, SW-soil and water. All presentations are 1.0 credit.
January 15, 2019
Registration check-in 9:30 AM.
Program begins at 10:00 AM and concludes at 4:20 PM.
Arrowwood Resort and Conference Center
1405 US Highway 71, Okoboji, IA 51355
Program for Okoboji
Tuesday, January 15, 2019Print the program
|9:30 AM||Registration opens|
|10:00 AM||Market outlook for 2019 and strategies for dealing with stress – Chad Hart, Extension ag economist; Mackenzie Johnson, Extension family life specialist (CM)|
|11:00 AM||Managing waterhemp in soybean – Bob Hartzler, Extension weed management specialist (PM)|
|12:00 PM||Lunch (provided)|
|12:45 PM||Session A (select one topic)|
|Field crop insects updates from 2018 – Erin Hodgson, Extension entomologist (PM)|
|Micronutrients for corn and soybean – Antonio Mallarino, Extension soil fertility specialist (NM)|
|Nitrogen management in variable environments – John Sawyer, Extension soil fertility specialist (NM)|
|Weather outlook for 2019 – Dennis Todey, director, USDA Midwest Climate Hub (CM)|
|1:40 PM||Session B (select one topic)|
|2018 growing season review – Mark Licht, Extension cropping systems specialist (CM)|
|Cover crops and no-till ahead of soybeans: Low risk – big rewards – Jamie Benning, Extension water quality program manager (SW)|
|Dicamba update – Bob Hartzler, Extension weed management specialist (PM)|
|Tillage Systems, soil quality measurements – Mahdi Al-Kaisi, Extension soil and water management specialist (SW)|
|2:40 PM||Session C (select one topic)|
|Agricultural drainage research update – Matt Helmers, Extension agricultural engineer (SW)|
|Economics of a challenging year, MFP payments – Gary Wright, Extension farm management field specialist (CM)|
|Lean and mean crop production for 2019 – Mark Licht, Extension cropping systems specialist (CM)|
|What is used to determine long-range outlooks? – Dennis Todey, director, USDA Midwest Climate Hub (CM)|
|3:35 PM||Iowa Private Pesticide Applicator Continuing Instruction Course (Applicators must attend entire meeting to receive recertification.) – Paul Kassel, Extension field agronomist|
|4:20 PM||Meeting adjourns|
Early registration, prior to midnight, January 8, 2019
Late or on-site registration
- Registration includes lunch, proceedings booklet, refreshment breaks, private pesticide applicator recertification and CCA credits.
- Cancellations requesting a refund must be received no later than 3 days prior to the meeting (except weather related).
- Confirmation of registration and receipts are sent via email. Please provide a valid email address when registering.
- For assistance with registration, receipts, cancellation or questions on the status of your registration please contact ANR Program Services at (515) 294-6429 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If weather conditions cause a change in meeting plans a notice will be posted on this webpage and provided to local media and radio stations. Any decisions regarding holding the meeting will be announced before 6:00 AM the day of the meeting. Meetings will not be rescheduled. Those registered may transfer to another location or request a refund.